Welcome to ncWMS
ncWMS is a Web Map Service for geospatial data that are stored in CF-compliant NetCDF files. The intention is to create a WMS that requires minimal configuration: the source data files should already contain most of the necessary metadata. ncWMS is developed and maintained by the Reading e-Science Centre at the University of Reading, UK. The latest version is 1.2, released in August 2014.
ncWMS is implemented in Java as a web application. To install ncWMS you simply place the WAR (Web ARchive) file in your application server of choice (e.g. Tomcat).
ncWMS relies heavily on the Java NetCDF interface from Unidata. This library does a lot of the work of metadata and data extraction. In particular the GridDatatype class is frequently used to provide a high-level interface to gridded geospatial NetCDF files. The library will also read from NetCDF files on HTTP servers and from OPeNDAP servers.
ncWMS has now been integrated with the THREDDS Data Server, thanks to colleagues at the University of Tasmania and Unidata. See http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/TDS.html for more details.
NEW! ncWMS is now distributed with the OSGeo-Live DVD!
Demonstration video of Godiva2 web client
- Downloading, building and installing ncWMS - Go here to get source code and binaries
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Interactive data portal showing ncWMS in action, and user guide.
- Mailing lists - ask for help here!
- Who is using ncWMS? - user stories
- Who has contributed to the ncWMS code?
- Publications and Presentations about ncWMS
- CompatibleClients: WMS clients that are known to be compatible with ncWMS (although any WMS client should in theory work!)
- Outstanding issues: new features and fixes that are in the pipeline
- WmsExtensions "Extra" features implemented by ncWMS that are not in the WMS specification.
- Javadoc for version 1.0 (note: incomplete in places)
- Sourceforge project